In Malaysia, the Companies Commission of Malaysia (CCM) requires that every limited company must at least have a company secretary. A company secretary is a person who maintains the records, books, filings, documents, meetings, company seal and so forth.
Hiring a good company secretary
It’s often good to hire a licensed & experienced company secretary in Malaysia because:
- He/She already has certain local business & legalities knowledge in CCM’s acts, rules, regulations, best practices & legalities.
- Able to furnish documents not only on Company Registration & Practices policies, but on certain financial information.
- Have strong local contacts for various other resources & services (e.g. Accountancy, business licensing, etc.)
- Is able to fully represent on behalf of a company to enter into business contracts. (Chief Administrative Officer)
- Is able to furnish necessary (share transfers, change of directors, etc.) documentation and information to securities (public listed companies).
You can find out more about the Duties and Liabilities of a Company Secretary in this other blog post.
Code of Ethics
As a company secretary of a private/public limited company, he/she is now an official officer of the company with authority & responsibility to comply with the conduct & ethics specified by Malaysia’s Company Secretary Code of Ethics.
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Social Responsibilities (CSR) & the Environment
- Relationships with Creditors, Shareholders, Employees and Clients.
You can request for us to give you a free business consultation on Malaysia from one of our company secretaries.